“Mold” and “Mildew” are two words that are used interchangeably in our culture; however, they are not the same thing. Although both are forms of fungi that grow in moist, warm locations they differ in the surfaces on which they grow and in appearance. Mold often appears fuzzy or slimy depending on the type and comes in various colors. When seen in a home it may appear to be irregularly shaped spots of black or grey often in a cluster. Mildew is most commonly found on plants or agricultural products such as fruits and potatoes. It is also commonly found in bathrooms where the moist conditions offer an ideal environment for growth.
Both come with serious health and property risks if left untreated. Headaches, asthma, coughing, and irritation of the eyes or throat may occur as a result of breathing in these toxins. Mold can also rot the surface on which it is growing if given enough time. Keeping areas dry and well ventilated are the most important preventative measure for eliminating mold and mildew. Any agricultural product that has traces of mold should be thrown away and repurchased. When treating mold/mildew the most common myth is that bleach will kill it. This is not true however most cases of mold can be treated with an industrial mold/mildew remover. If there is significant mold growth a professional may need to clean the space and repair any damage.